Saturday, January 26, 2008

And so it begins . . .

It seems like I have spent as much time researching the steps to creating a jewelry business as I have working on jewelry. Maybe more . . .

After having responded to so many posting in the different groups I belong to about struggling to start a business, start a web site or pricing your work - because people who have been in this business a while seem to have forgotten the struggles and fears of doing this for the very first time - I thought I would put some of what I have learned into a blog. I also thought this would be a great opportunity to share with other struggling working artists my own struggles (and hopefully triumphs). After all don't we all feel better when we know we are not alone in our fears, worries and self-doubts.

Recently I privately answered another persons posting on the PMC group in yahoo about what we had done in starting our handcrafted jewelry business so lets start there:


I spent over 2 months of researching the areas market, what was available on the web, going to craft shows in the area and determining who my market should be. I signed up for Tammy Powley's online e-class at about.com on starting a business and made sure I read all the related articles she suggested. I also found http://www.home-jewelry-business-success-tips.com/index.html which was helpful (great articles on pricing you work).
For me I decided that as I am doing the part-time and am a computer person that selling on the Internet would be my primary method. I am also going to do some crafts shows and some home shows with friends. Those methods work the best right now for me and my life. You may decide that farmers markets and craft shows are you thing, or selling to a gallery is better for you. Take the time to do some market research for the area you live in and determine who you want to sell to. Also read
http://www.halsteadbead.com/Grant/ This company offers an award each year to an up and coming jewelry artist running a business. Read what they have to say about what they look for in their winners - even though you probably would not be going for this, their thoughts on what makes a solid jewelry business is great!Finally - talk to an attorney and an accountant if you are going to do this. I found out from my accountant that setting up as a DBA would make me prime for an audit as we are in a "hobby" type field and the IRS is going after people they think are not really in business but are just using the EIN# for a tax break.


I am not sure if my email helped her but maybe it can help others. See where I have gotten so far with my business (Capescapes Jewelry, LLC at http://www.capescapesjewelry.com/). I will continue with these thoughts . . .


Gale

No comments: