Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Buying Handmade/Handcrafted

Yikes! Is it October already?

Much has happened in this last month. I am working on a whole new design line that I will have available for Christmas shopping. The price of silver dropped for a short time so I invested in more silver wire and metal clay so I can keep prices down. And then I got a new job! I will be working for The Emancipation Network http://www.madebysurvivors.com/ which is an international organization that fights slavery by empowering survivors and high risk communities by giving them economic alternatives and education. The products these survivors make also help build the abolition movement in the US. I just did an orientation there yesterday and they have some really beautiful things.

I really want to encourage people to make a commitment this year that they will buy handmade/handcrafted gifts for the holidays. Go to local craft shows, find local artists and artisans, check out Etsy and buy hand crafted. It's a great way to make your money go far and help your local economy.

Gale

No comments: