Sunday, November 30, 2008

My new line of jewelry

I mentioned this summer that I was struck by the monarch butterflies I saw at the beach. Out of that observation came an idea for a set of sea based jewelry, some with butterflies as part of the design. I really liked working with the sea shell molds (see below), paua shells, and butterfly molds and I plan on doing more items using these.

The paua shells came from a challenge my friend Anne made to me to find a way to bring these into PMC designs as they can not be fired in place and are odd enough in shape that a standard bezel process would not work that easily. I read how some other PMC artists were attaching odd shaped items to their pieces and I came up with a plan using paper clay as a base mold of the paua shell that could be fired in the kiln. Because I needed the metal extra strong, as I would be hammering it on an anvil after, I fired the PMC plus at the 2 hour PMC standard rate to insure the silver was fully sintered. I am very pleased with the process and will continue to explore using these shells. The one I have pictured here also has a separate bail with a lab grown Sapphire that the main pendent hangs from to give it movement.

I had a lot of fun using the cold mold to create shell molds as well as molds of vintage buttons which I have made into earrings. I can't wait to find more things to mold. Should be a lot of fun finding items at antique stores to mold and create pieces from those molds.

I will be adding these to my web site shortly, but you can contact me if you are interested in any of these pieces before they go up online.

- Gale

No comments: